Northern Canada Vessel Traffic Services (NORDREG) Reporting Requirements in Effect July 1st, 2010 Mandatory reporting scheme for northern waters
- June 23, 2010
- Brisset Bishop
The federal government yesterday announced that mandatory vessel reporting requirements for the Northern Canada Vessel Traffic Services (NORDREG) Zone will be in effect beginning July 1st, 2010. The relevant regulation has been published today in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
Reporting will entail a three-step reporting process: pre-arrival; while navigating the Zone; upon exiting the Zone.
The reporting requirements cover:
- vessels of 300 g.t. or more
- vessels towing or pushing a vessel if combined tonnage is 500 g.t. or more
- vessels carrying a pollutant or dangerous goods as cargo
- vessels towing or pushing a vessel carrying a pollutant or dangerous goods as cargo
Notice of the proposed NORDREG Zone regulations was Gazetted February 27th, 2010. The final regulation has been published today.
For further details, please see:
- Transport Canada news release and backgrounders June 22nd, 2010
- Canada Gazette, Part II, June 23rd, 2010 (page 1161)