Shipping and transportation are heavily regulated in Canada by several federal and provincial agencies. Our firm advises extensively on the complex Canadian statutory and regulatory framework, including:
- Marine policies pertaining to ports, infrastructures, safety and environmental protection.
- Coasting trade, including the carriage of goods and passengers between Canadian ports
- Canada Customs, including Canada Border Services Agency’s constantly changing requirements on import and export of goods
- Carriage of dangerous goods
- Pilotage matters
- Railway and car safety standards, duty of care, environmental protection, powers, responsibilities and management of railway companies
- Role and powers of the Canadian Transportation Agency, Transportation Safety Board of Canada and Transport Canada